Dr. Johnny K.C. WONG 王港政
- BSc (HKU 2008), PhD (HKU 2013)
Dr Wong obtained his doctoral degree in organic chemistry at The University of Hong Kong in 2013. After that, he joined the Department of Pharmacology and Pharmacy in the same year. Since then, Dr Wong has been overseeing the chemical education activities under the Bachelor of Pharmacy programme. His areas of expertise are medicinal chemistry, pharmaceutical chemistry, and pharmaceutical analysis.
Dr Wong’s scientific research is focused on exploring spectroscopic applications in chemometric analysis. He has been developing chemometric models for using NMR spectroscopy to analyze natural therapeutic products.
Dr Wong is also involved in education research. He is an advocate of inquiry-based learning and virtual learning, and he has immense interest and experience in those areas.
Office: 2/F, 21 Sassoon Road, Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine, Laboratory Block, Faculty of Medicine Building, Hong Kong SAR, China.
- BPHM1132 Drug discovery (course coordinator)
- BPHM2133 Pharmaceutical Chemistry
- BPHM2141, 2142, 2143, 3144, 3145, 3146 (medicinal chemistry)
- BPHM3137 Pharmaceutical Analysis
- American Society of Chemistry - Member
- Royal Society of Chemistry - Member
- Inquiry-based learning
- Virtual learning environments
- Experiential learning
- 3D printing
Basic science research
- NMR chemometric analysis on natural therapeutic substances
- Chromatographic assays on detecting and quantifying drug/toxic substances
- Guo, S.; Wong, K. C.; Scheeff, S.; He, Z.; Chan, W. T. K.; Low, K.-H.; Chiu, P. Copper-Catalyzed Reductive Ireland–Claisen Rearrangements of Propargylic Acrylates and Allylic Allenoates. The Journal of Organic Chemistry 2022, 87 (1), 429-452. DOI: 10.1021/acs.joc.1c02455.
- Xuan, B.; Chen, Y. C. S.; Wong, K. C.; Chen, R.; Lo, P. S.; Lakerveld, R.; Tong, H. H. Y.; Chow, S. F. Impact of cocrystal solution-state stability on cocrystal dissociation and polymorphic drug recrystallization during dissolution. International Journal of Pharmaceutics 2021, 610, 121239.
- Wong, K. C.; Ng, E.; Wong, W.-T.; Chiu, P. Copper Hydride Catalyzed Reductive Claisen Rearrangements. Chemistry – A European Journal 2016, 22 (11), 3709-3712.
- Lam, C.-S.; Tipoe, G. L.; Wong, J. K.-C.; Youdim, M. B. H.; Fung, M.-L. M30 Antagonizes Indoleamine 2,3-Dioxygenase Activation and Neurodegeneration Induced by Corticosterone in the Hippocampus. PLOS ONE 2016, 11 (11), e0166966.
- 2022-2023 Teaching Development Grant “Exploring the stereo molecular world with concrete models: an inquiry-based approach”, Funding amount HKD 63,740
- 2021-2022 Teaching Development Grant “Construction of a pharmaceutical chemical virtual laboratory to facilitate inquiry-based learning in the pharmaceutical chemical education of the BPharm programme”, Funding amount HKD 230,000