Dr. Shirley X. LI 李雪
Dr Shirley Li joined the Department of Pharmacology and Pharmacy since 2014 and appointed as Research Assistant Professor jointly by the Department of Pharmacology and Pharmacy, Department of Paediatrics and Adolescent Medicine and Department of Social Work and Social Administration since 2019. Before joining HKU, she obtained Master of Medicine at Peking Union Medical College and PhD in Public Health at the Chinese University of Hong Kong.
Dr Li’s primary research interest is health technology assessment (HTA), health economics and real-world outcome (HEOR) research using decision analytic models and electronic health records (healthcare big data). She is expertise on budget impact, and cost-effectiveness analyses for new drugs market access, population-based disease burden estimation, big-data based health policy evaluation and patient-reported outcome research. She has been published actively in the field of public health science and health policy, covering the therapeutic areas of infectious diseases and vaccinology, cardiovascular diseases, diabetes mellitus, autoimmune diseases and rare diseases.She also serves as peer-reviewers for Value in Health, PlosOne and ISPOR conferences.
Since joining the CSMPR at HKU, Dr Li has led and contributed to many pharmacoeconomics projects, which had dynamic interactions with the international academic collaborators, local government, industry, community, patients’ group and other key opinion leaders. Her recent research focuses on the real-world evidence of rare disease and orphan drugs and the development of performance-based risk-sharing model for innovative and curative therapies.
- Member of International Health Economics Association (iHEA)
- Member of International Society for Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research (ISPOR), ISPOR Asia Consortium, ISPOR Hong Kong Chapter
- Member of International Health Techonology Assessment (HTAi)
Honours and Awards
- World Life Science Conference Travel Award, 2018
- Pasteur Institute of Ho Chi Minh City Health Economics Workshop Travel Award, 2017
- Health economics/pharmacoeconomics/health technology assessment
Using health economic decision analytic models, including budget impact, cost-benefit, and cost-effectiveness analyses, to evaluate health interventions, inform shared-decision makings, and improve health services
- Real-world outcomes research
Using population-based electronic medical record /big data to evaluate disease burden, health resource utilisation and post-marketing medication safety in real-life settings
- Patient-reported outcome research
Using questionnaire instruments to elicit patient preferences, acceptance and willingness-to-pay for novel health interventions
- Health policy and service evaluation
Using quasi-experimental design to evaluate the effectiveness of healthcare policy in real-life settings
- Decision analytic modelling for health technology assessment
- Big-data based epidemiology and health economics study
- Discrete choice experiment for behaviour and choice assessment
- Interrupted time series analysis for policy evaluation
- Li X, Pathadka S, Man KM, Wong ICK, Chan EW*. Budget impact analysis of introducing tofacitinib for the treatment of patients with rheumatoid arthritis in Hong Kong. Hong Kong Medical Journal, 2019; 25 (3): 201-8. Epub 29 May 2019.
- Li X, Chan NS, Tam AW, Hung IFN, Chan EW*. Budget impact and cost-effectiveness analyses of direct-acting antivirals for chronic hepatitis C virus infection in Hong Kong, European Journal of Clinical Microbiology & Infectious Diseases. 2017 Oct; 36(10):1801-1809.
- Li X, Tse VC, Lau WC, Cheung BM, Lip GY, Wong ICK, Chan EW*. Cost-effectiveness of apixaban versus warfarin for stroke prophylaxis in Chinese patients with non-valvular atrial fibrillation: a combination of real-life data and modelling analyses, PloS One. 2016 Jun 30; 11(6): e0157129.
- Li X, Tse VC, Au-Doung LW, Wong ICK, Chan EW*. The impact of ischemic stroke on atrial fibrillation-related healthcare cost: a systematic review, Europace (2017) 19 (6): 937-947.
- Ge MQ#, Man KK#, Chui CS, Chan EW, Wong ICK, Li X*. Prevalence, safety and long-term retention rates of biologics in Hong Kong from 2001-2015. Drug Safety. 2019 Sep;42(9):1091-1102.
- Li X, Blais JE, Wong ICK, Tam AWY, Cowling BJ, Hung IFN, Chan EW*. Population-based estimates of the burden of pneumonia hospitalizations in Hong Kong, 2011-2015. European Journal of Clinical Microbiology & Infectious Diseases. 2019 Mar;38(3):553-561.
- Lau WCY, Li X, Wong ICK, Man KKC, Lip GYH, Leung WK, Siu CW, Chan EW*. Bleeding-related hospital admissions and 30-day re-admissions in patients with nonvalvular atrial fibrillation treated with dabigatran versus warfarin, Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis. 2017 Oct;15(10):1923-1933.
- He Y, Wong ICK, Li X, Anand S, Leung WK, Siu CW and Chan EW*: The association between Non-Vitamin K antagonist oral anticoagulants and gastrointestinal bleeding: a meta-analysis of observational studies, British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology. 2016 Jul;82(1):285-300.
- Li X, Wong ICK, McGhee SM, Kwan MYW, Wong CKH, Ip DKM, Chau J, Chan EW*. Mothers’ preference and willingness to pay for human papillomavirus vaccination for their daughters: a discrete choice experiment, Hong Kong Medical Journal. 2018 Oct;24 Suppl 6(5):34-36.
- Guan Y, Castle PE, Wang S, Li B, Feng C, Ci P, Li X, Gravitt P, Qiao YL*. A cross-sectional study on the acceptability of self-collection for HPV testing among women in rural China, Sexual Transmitted Infections, 2012 Nov; 88(7):490-4.
- Tutino GE, Yang WY, Li X, Li WH, Zhang YY, Guo XH, Luk AO, Yeung RO, Yin JM, Ozaki R, So WY, Ma RC, Ji LN, Kong AP, Weng JP, Ko GT, Jia WP, Chan JC, China JADE Study Group. A multicentre demonstration project to evaluate the effectiveness and acceptability of the web-based Joint Asia Diabetes Evaluation (JADE) programme with or without nurse support in Chinese patients with Type 2 diabetes, Diabetic Medicine, 2017 Mar;34(3):440-450.
- Luk AO*, Li X, Zhang Y, Guo X, Jia W, Li W, Weng J, Yang W, Chan WB, Ozaki R, Tsang CC, Mukhopadhyay M, Ojha AK, Hong EG, Yoon KH, Sobrepena L, Toledo RM, Duran M, Sheu W, Q Do T, Nguyen TK, Ma RC, Kong AP, Chow CC, Tong PC, So WY, Chan JC; JADE Study Group. Quality of care in patients with diabetic kidney disease in Asia: The Joint Asia Diabetes Evaluation (JADE) Registry. Diabetic Medicine. 2016 Sep;33(9):1230-9.
- Luk AO*, Fu WC, Li X, Ozaki R, Chung HH, Wong RY, So WY, Chow FC, Chan JC. The Clinical Utility of SUDOSCAN in Chronic Kidney Disease in Chinese Patients with Type 2 Diabetes, PLoS One, 2015 Aug 13;10(8): e0134981.
Real-world outcome research
Patient-reported outcome research
Health policy and health service evaluation
- 2019-20 The impact of childhood pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV) immunisation on pneumonia admissions in Hong Kong: a population-based interrupted time series analysis from 2004-2017, Health and Medical Research Fund (HMRF), Food and Health Bureau of the Government of Hong Kong, Principle Investigator (HK$ 551,706), on-going
- 2018-20 Preferences and willingness-to-pay for novel anticoagulation therapy in patients with atrial fibrillation in China, National Natural Science Fund of China (NSFC) – Young Scientist Fund, co-Investigator (CNY180,000), on-going
- 2019-22 Treatment, survival, prognosis and resource utilization in patients with rare diseases in Hong Kong, HKU Seed Fund for Basic Research for New Staff, Principal Investigator (HK$150,000), ongoing
Seeking postgraduate students and research fellows
We are seeking highly motivated team players to join our team as research fellows and postgraduate students to conduct big-data-driven, decision analytic model based health economics and outcome research.
For further information please email Dr Shirley Li with your CV at firstname.lastname@example.org
Regular Student Consultation HoursEvery Tuesday at 11:00am - 12:00pm
2/F Laboratory Block, Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine, 21 Sassoon Road, Pokfulam
Hong Kong SAR, China