Dr. W.P. WANG 汪衛平
Dr. Weiping Wang is currently an Assistant Professor at the Department of Pharmacology and Pharmacy & Dr. Li Dak-Sum Research Centre, The University of Hong Kong. He is also a Principal Investigator at the State Key Laboratory of Pharmaceutical Biotechnology at HKU. He obtained his Ph.D. (supervisor: Prof. Ying Chau) in Chemical Engineering from The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology in 2011. He worked as a Research Fellow (supervisor: Prof. Daniel Kohane) at Boston Children's Hospital, Harvard Medical School and Postdoctoral Associate (supervisor: Prof. Robert Langer) at Koch Institute for Integrative Cancer Research, Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- Member of American Institute of Chemical Engineers
- Member of Society for Biological Engineering
- Lifetime Member of Chinese Association for Biomaterials
- Member of Controlled Release Society
- Member of International Association of Advanced Materials
Honours and Awards
- Gold Medal, Special Edition 2022 Inventions Geneva Evaluation Days, 2022
- Thieme Chemistry Journals Award, Thieme Chemistry, 2021
- Journal of Materials Chemistry B Emerging Investigator, Royal Society of Chemistry, 2020
- Faculty Outstanding Research Output Award, Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine, HKU, 2020
- Young Innovator Award in Nanobiotechnology (NR 45, 45 outstanding young investigators under 45), Nano Research, Tsinghua University Press & Springer Nature, 2018
- “Meet our author… Weiping Wang” Featured in Chemical Communications Blog, 2011
- Ph.D. Research Excellence Award, School of Engineering, HKUST, 2011
- Air Products Best Postgraduate Award for Research Excellence, Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, HKUST, 2011
- Young Investigator Awards, World Association for Chinese Biomedical Engineers, 2011
- IUCr Travel Fellowship, International Workshop of 3D Molecular Imaging by Cryo-EM, China, 2010
- Student Travel Award, 1st Nano Today Conference, Singapore, 2009
- Honorable Mention of Bionanotechnology Graduate Student Award, AIChE Annual Meeting, USA, 2008
- Best Student Award and InVENTS Travel Award, 5th Marie Curie Cutting Edge Conference, Portugal, 2008
- Student Travel Award, 3rd International Conference on Bioengineering & Nanotechnology, Singapore, 2007
Guest Editor, Special Issue on Advanced Technologies for Biomedical Applications by Emerging Researchers in Asia-Pacific, Bioengineering & Translational Medicine, Wiley Publishing, 2022
Guest Editor, Special Topic on Drug/Gene Delivery and Theranostics, APL Bioengineering, American Institute of Physics (AIP) Publishing, 2022
- Ocular drug delivery
- Photoresponsive drug delivery
- Engineering stimuli-responsive nanomaterials for drug delivery
Ten Selected Original Research Articles
Invited Review Articles
Full List of Publications：http://wanglab.org/publications/
- Development of photoresponisve prodrug nanoparticles based on mTOR inhibitors for the treatment of skin cancer (No. 09201616), 2022-2025, PI, Health and Medical Research Fund, HKD 1,419,200
- Development of near-infrared light-triggered drug delivery system, 2021-2022, PI, Karolinska Institutet’s MWLC Associate Member Programme, HKD 525,000
- Low-irradiance red light-triggered drug release for the treatment of retinoblastoma (No. 27115220), PI, Early Career Scheme of Research Grants Council, 2020-2023, HKD 936,520
- Development of Photo-targeted Nanocarriers for Esophageal Cancer Therapy (No. 07181936), PI, Health and Medical Research Fund, 2020-2023, HKD 1,405,630
- Engineering nanomaterials for drug delivery, genome editing and bioimaging, PI, Karolinska Institutet’s MWLC Associate Member Programme, 2019-2020, HKD 525,000
- Development of ultrasound-responsive polymeric nanoreactors for retinoblastoma therapy (No. 06173456), PI, Health and Medical Research Fund, 2019-2021, HKD 1,499,628
- Hydrogen sulfide-responsive small-molecule nanoparticles as drug delivery carriers (No. 81803469), PI, Young Scientists Fund of the National Natural Science Foundation of China, 2019-2021, RMB 210,000
- Preparation of Self-assembled Nanodrugs (SANDs) by an Ice-template Assisted Method (No. ITS/372/17), Co-PI, Hong Kong Innovation and Technology Support Programme, 2018-2019, HKD 300,000 allocated
- Photoresponsive nanoparticles inducing cellular autophagy and enhancing targeted drug delivery for cancer therapy (No. 2017A050506016), Co-PI, Guangdong-Hong Kong Technology Cooperation Funding Scheme, 2017-2019, RMB 150,000 allocated
- Weiping Wang, Kaiqi Long, Yifan Wang, Photocleavable prodrug-based nanomedicine for in-situ monitorable cancer therapy, US Provisional Patent (No. 63/262,789, 2021)
- Weiping Wang, Yuwei Liu, Kaiqi Long, A photoresponsive prodrug for targeted immunotherapy, US Provisional Patent (No. 63/203,687, 2021)
- Weiping Wang, Kaiqi Long, Shuting Xu, Photoactivatable prodrug nanoparticles for combined anti-angiogenesis and photodynamic therapy, US Provisional Patent (No. 63/203,614, 2021)
- Weiping Wang, Yaming Zhang, ROS-responsive prodrug and compositions and methods of thereof, US Provisional Patent (No. 63/221,318, 2021)
- Weiping Wang, Tianyi Wang, Kaiqi Long, Compositions and Methods of optochemical control of mTOR signaling and mTOR-dependent autophagy, US Provisional Patent (No. 63/215,814, 2021)
- Weiping Wang, Yang Zhou, Yafei Li, A photoresponsive protein delivery system based on a modified PAMAM and methods thereof, US Provisional Patent (No. 63/209,078, 2021)
- Weiping Wang, Yafei Li, Compositions and methods of macropinocytosis inhibitors to treat cancers, US Provisional Patent (No. 63/188,803, 2021)
- Weiping Wang, Kaiqi Long, A controlled drug release system of photoresponsive nanocarriers, methods of making and using thereof, PCT Patent (No. PCT/CN2021/081262, 2021)
- Weiping Wang, Wen Lyv, Triplet-triplet energy transfer with light excitation at long wavelengths and methods thereof, PCT Patent (No. PCT/CN2019/101689, 2019), Chinese Patent (No. 201980054786.6, 2021), US Patent (No. 17/262,452, 2021).
- Daniel S. Kohane, Weiping Wang, Qian Liu, Triplet-triplet annihilation-based upconversion, PCT Patent (No. PCT/US2016/040271, 2016), US Patent (No. 15/740,396, 2018)
- Long-Ping Wen, Yongping Chen, Xin Guo, Yuanyuan Shen, Weiping Wang, Brian Zhang, Transdermal delivery peptides and method of use thereof, US Patent (No. US11/531,879, 2006)
Lab Website: www.wanglab.org
Outstanding applicants are encouraged to apply for the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme (HKPF). The Fellowship provides a monthly stipend of HK$26,900 and research related travel allowance of HK$13,500/year for the awardees for 4 years. The Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine will also provide HKPF awardees with the Faculty’s Doctoral Entrance Award of HK$40,000 in their first year of study. Furthermore, HKU waives first-year composition fees of HK$42,100 for HKPF awardees.
Mr. Jinzhao Liu graduated from Shanghai Jiao Tong University was awarded the HKPF in the 2021-22 exercise with the recommendation from our group.
Mr. Kaiqi Long gradutated from Sun Yat-Sen University was awarded the HKPF in the 2018-19 exercise with the recommendation from our group.
Mr. Yang Zhou graduated from Fudan University was awarded the HKPF in the 2019-20 exercise with the recommendation from our group.
Interested outstanding students please contact Dr. Wang (email@example.com, please reference "HKPF PhD application" in the subject line) with an updated CV.
Interested outstanding undergraduate or graduate students from around the world please contact Dr. Wang (firstname.lastname@example.org) with an updated CV for internship or exchange studies.
One Postdoctoral Fellow position is available at Dr. Wang's lab. Applicants are expected to have an excellent track record with strong expertise and experimental background in one of the areas/techniques including gene delivery, ocular drug delivery, photopharmacology, nanomedicine, and anticancer animal studies. The position will focus on molecular engineering for understanding biological events or solving medical problems.
The qualified applicant must be highly motivated, creative, energetic and have an interest in applying novel technologies for biomedical applications. Those interested please contact Dr. Wang (email@example.com, please reference "Postdoc application" in the subject line) with an updated CV.
A highly competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience will be offered, in addition to annual leave and medical benefits.
2/F, 21 Sassoon Road, Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine, Laboratory Block, Faculty of Medicine Building, Hong Kong SAR, China.