Dr. Celine S.L. CHUI 徐詩鈴
Dr. Chui is jointly appointed by the Department of Pharmacology and Pharmacy, Department of Paediatrics & Adolescent Medicine, and Deparment of Social Work and Social Administration at HKU. She obtained her PhD degree from the Department of Pharmacology and Pharmacy at HKU in 2017. Her PhD work focused on the safety of oral fluoroquinolones using healthcare databases. She had led the design and analysis of several studies using healthcare databases from Hong Kong, Taiwan, and the United Kingdom. She was a visiting scholar (PhD exchange student) at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicines in United Kingdom. She completed her post-doctoral training in the School of Public Health at HKU in 2019. Her research interest is medication safety with the use of Big Data. Her research interests also include the following disease areas: neuropsychiatric disorders, infectious diseases and cardiovascular diseases (hypertension)..
- Chair, Student Council, International Society for Pharmacoepidemiology, 2015-16
- Co-chair, Student Council, International Society for Pharmacoepidemiology, 2014-15
- British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology
- PLoS One
- Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy
- 32nd International Conference on Pharmacoepidemiology & Therapeutic Risk Management, Dublin, Ireland
- 2016 ISPE Mid-Year Meeting, Baltimore, United States
- 31st ICPE, Boston, Massachusetts, United States
- 2015 ISPE Mid-Year Meeting, Bordeaux, France
Honours and Awards
- ASM Student and Postdoctoral Travel Award, ASM (American Society for Mcirobiology) Microbe, 2018
- Outstanding Research Output Award, Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong, 2017
- John Snow Award (Best abstract submitted from a female research or a student living in a developing country), 32nd ICPE International Conference on Pharmacoepidemiology & Therapeutic Risk Management, 2016
- Roche Postgrduate Research Student Prize, The University of Hong Kong, 2015
- Rising Start Award, 9th Asian Conference on Pharmacoepidemiology, 2015
- First Poster Prize, 14th Annual Meeting of the International Society of Pharmacovigilance, 2014
- Best Presenter Award in Cardiovascular Issues and Antibiotics, 8th Asian Conference on Pharmacoepidemiology, 2013
- Medication safety and epidemiology with the use of Big Data
- Methodological research
- Drug utilization
- Cowling BJ, Chui CSL, Lim WW, Wu P, Hui CKM, Peiris JSM, Chan EW. Use of influenza antivirals in patients hospitalized in Hong Kong, 2000-2015. PLoS One. 2018;13(1).
- Man KKC, Ip P, Hsia YF, Chan EW, Chui CSL, Lam MPS, et al. Attention-deficit/Hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) drug prescribing trend is increasing among school-aged children and adolescents in Hong Kong. Journal of Attention Disorders. 2017 Dec;21(14):1161-1168.
- Lao KSJ, Tam AWY, Wong ICK, Besag FMC, Man KKC, Chui CSL, Chan EW. Prescribing trends and indications of antipsychotic medication in Hong Kong from 2004 to 2014: General and vulnerable patient groups. Pharmacoepidemiology and Drug Safety. 2017;26(11):1387-94.
- Banaschewski T, Buitelaar J, Chui CSL, Coghill D, Cortese S, Simonoff E, Wong ICK. Methylphenidate for ADHD in children and adolescents: throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Evidence-Based Mental Health. 2016;19(4):97-9.
- Chui CSL, Chan EW, Wong AY, Root A, Douglas IJ, Wong ICK. Association between oral fluoroquinolones and seizures, a self-controlled case series study. Neurology. 2016 May 3; 86(17): 1708-1715.
- Wong AY, Wong ICK, Chui CSL, Lee EH, Chang WC, Chen EY, Leung WK, Chan EW. Acute neuropsychiatric events associated with Helicobacter pylori therapy containing-clarithromycin: a population-based study. JAMA Internal Medicine. 2016 Jun;176(6):828-34.
- Lao SJ, Chui CSL, Man KK, Lau WC, Chan EW, Wong ICK. Medication safety research by observational study design. International Journal of Clinical Pharmacy. 2016 Jun; 38(3):676-684.
- Wong AY, Root A, Douglas IJ, Chui CSL, Chan EW, Ghebremichael-Weldeselassie Y, Smeeth L, Wong ICK. Cardiovascular outcomes associated with use of clarithromycin: population based study. BMJ. 2016 ;352:h6926.
- Lai EC, Man KK, Chaiyakunapruk N, Cheng CL, Chien HC, Chui CSL, et al. Databases in the Asia-Pacific Region: The Potential for a Distributed Network Approach. Epidemiology. 2015 Nov; 26(6):815-20.
- Chui CSL, Wong ICK, Wong LYL, Chan EW. Association between oral fluoroquinolone use and the development of retinal detachment: a systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studies. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy. 2015 Apr; 70(4):971-8.
- Wong AY, Chan EW, Chui CSL, Sutcliffe AG and Wong ICK. The phenomenon of micronutrient deficiency among children in China: a systematic review of the literature. Public Health Nutrition. 2014 Nov; 17(11):2605-18.
- Chan EW, Liu KQ, Chui CSL, Sing CW, Wong LY, Wong ICK. Adverse Drug Reactions - Example of detection of rare events using databases. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology. 2015 Oct; 80(4):855-61.
- Chui CSL, Man KK, Cheng CL, Chan EW, Lau WC, Cheng VC, et al. An investigation of the potential association between retinal detachment and oral fluoroquinolones: a self-controlled case series study. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy. 2014 May; 69(9):2563-7.
- He Y, Wong AY, Chan EW, Lau WC, Man KK, Chui CSL, et al. Efficacy and safety of tofacitinib in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis: a systematic review and meta-analysis. BMC musculoskeletal disorders. 2013;14:298.
- Chan EW, He Y, Chui CSL, Wong AY, Lau WC, Wong ICK. Efficacy and safety of lorcaserin in obese adults: a meta-analysis of 1-year randomized controlled trials (RCTs) and narrative review on short-term RCTs. Obesity Reviews. 2013 May;14(5):383-92.