- Vision & Mission
- Partnerships & Collaborations
- Research areas & Focus
Professor Ian CK Wong
Professor William CM Chui
Research Lead (Right):
Dr Esther WY Chan
collaborative research, which addresses questions central to medication safety.
Medicines play an important role in clinical practice contributing to the health and longevity of many patients, yet many challenges prevent their optimal use resulting in patient harm. Adverse drug events are a source of significant patient harm. There are worldwide initiatives to reduce adverse drug events. Within the strategic plan of the Department of Pharmacology & Pharmacy to foster research and development in the area of medication safety, a research centre was developed, in collaboration and partnerships with various departments both locally and abroad.
The mission of the Centre for Safe Medication Practice and Research established in 2012, is to improve health and quality of life of patients through interdisciplinary collaborative research, which addresses questions central to medication safety. We are focused on delivering innovative results which optimise the safe and effective use of medications. Drawing on the combined expertise of the specialist resources from Queen Mary Hospital (QMH) and The University of Hong Kong (HKU), the Centre provides a world-renowned platform for the training of health care professionals and patients in Asia regarding the safe use of medication.
Our aim is to deliver high quality research with results relevant and applicable to health in the real world setting. With the ultimate goal of optimising the safe and effective use of medicine in Asia.
Our vision is to be a leading organisation to promote safe medication practice and conduct safe medication research in Asia.
The Mission Statements
- Improve the health of patients through interdisciplinary collaborative research that address questions central to medication safety.
- Develop new methodologies in advancing of safe medication practice and pharmacoepidemiological research.
- Increase research capacity through the provision of training in pharmaceutical science, clinical pharmacology and pharmacoepidemiology applied to medication safety in Asia.
- Provide education to patients and health professionals in Asia.
- Advocate the adoption of safe medication practice in hospital and community settings.
- Pharmacy Department of Queen Mary Hospital
- Department of Pharmacology & Pharmacy, HKU
- Division of Clinical Pharmacology, Department of Medicine, HKU
Collaborating Centres and Networks
- Department of Medicine, HKU (Cardiology/ Gastroenterology & Hepatology/ Endocrinology & Metabolism)
- Department of Paediatrics & Adolescent Medicine, HKU
- Centre for Paediatric Pharmacy Research, The School of Pharmacy, University College London
- Global Research in Paediatrics – Network of Excellence (GRiP)
- Attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder drugs use chronic effects Consortium (ADDUCE)
- DEferiprone Evaluation in Paediatrics Consortium (DEEP)
- Asian Pharmacoepidemiology Network (AsPEN)
- Centre for Medicine Use and Safety, Faculty of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
- Department of Psychiatry, St. Vincent's Hospital Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
- Emergency and General Medicine Research, Department of Emergency Medicine, Austin Hospital; Department of Emergency Services, Royal Melbourne Hospital; Emergency Department, St. Vincent's Hospital Melbourne Victoria, Australia
- Department of Accident and Emergency; Queen Mary Hospital, Prince of Wales Hospital, Ruttonjee Hospital, Pamela Youde Nethersole Eastern Hospital, Hospital Authority, Hong Kong
- Pharmacotherapy in the elderly and pregnancy
- Emergency medicine
- Cardiovascular and Endocrinology
- Health economics and outcomes research on new drug utilisation
- Decision analytical models for competing treatments
- Discrete choice experiments to elicit consumers’ preferences and willingness-to-pay for new treatments
- Healthcare resource utilization in public hospitals of Hong Kong, using population-wide database.
- Safety of medicines including antimicrobials, neuropsychiatric and cardiovascular medications by utilising various study designs and methodologies not limited to cohort, nested case-control, self-controlled case series, case-crossover, case-time-control study, case only and the use of propensity scores.
- Novel epidemiological methodologies to study the effectiveness and safety of medicine use and post-marketing surveillance of medications.
- Paediatric pharmacoepidemiology with focus on neurodevelopmental disorders.
- Efficacy and safety of neuropsychiatric medication use in general population and special patient groups.
- Clinical Research
- Effectiveness of antipsychotics and sedating agents for the management of acute agitation in emergency department using different routes of drug administration.
- Wong AYS, Root A, Douglas I, Chui CSL, Chan EW, Ghebremichael-Weldeselassie Y, Siu CW, Smeeth L, Wong ICK. Cardiovascular outcomes associated with use of clarithromycin: population based study. BMJ 2016; 352:h6926. DOI: 10.1136/bmj.h6926.
- Wong AYS, Wong ICK, Chui CSL, Lee EHM, Chang WC, Chen EYH, Leung WK, Chan EW. Association between acute neuropsychiatric events and Helicobacter pylori therapy containing Clarithromycin. JAMA Intern Med. 2016, 176(6):828-834. DOI:10.1001/jamainternmed.2016.1586.
- Chui CS, Chan EW, Wong AY, Root A, Douglas IJ, Wong IC. Association between oral fluoroquinolones and seizures: a self-controlled case series study. Neurology 2016, 86(18):1708-15. DOI: 10.1212/WNL.0000000000002633.
- Chan PH, Huang D, Hai J, Li WH, Chan EW, Wong ICK, Lau CP, Chiang CE, Zhu J, Tse HF, Siu CW. Stroke prevention using Dabigatran in the very elderly with Atrial Fibrillation. Heart Rhythm 2016; 13(2):366-373. DOI: 10.1016/j.hrthm.2015.09.015.
- Chan EW, Lau WCY, Siu CW, Lip GYH, Leung WK, Anand S, Man KKC, Wong ICK. Effect of suboptimal anticoagulation treatment with antiplatelet therapy and warfarin on clinical outcomes in patients with nonvalvular atrial fibrillation: A population wide cohort study. Heart Rhythm 2016. Published online ahead of print. DOI: 10.1016/j.hrthm.2016.03.049.
- He Y, Wong ICK, Li X, Anand S, Leung WK, Siu CW, Chan EW. The association between Non-vitamin K antagonist oral anticoagulants and gastrointestinal bleeding: a meta-analysis of observation studies. Br. J. Clin. Pharmacol. 2016. DOI: 10.1111/bcp.12911.
- Root A, Wong AYS, Ghebremichael-Weldeselassie Y, Bhaskaran K, Evans SJW, Brauer R, Wong ICK, Navratnam V, Douglas I. Evaluation of the risk of cardiovascular events with clarithromycin using both propensity score and self-controlled study designs. Br J Clin Pharmacol 2016. Published online ahead of print. DOI: 10.1111/bcp.12983
- Li X, Tse VC, Au-Doung LW, Wong ICK, Chan EW. The impact of ischaemic stroke on atrial fibrillation-related healthcare cost: a systematic review. Europace 2016; Published online ahead of print. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/europace/euw093.
- Chan PH, Hai JJ, Chan EW, Li WH, Tse HF, Wong ICK, Lip GYH, Siu CW. Use of SAMe-TT2R2 score to predict good Anticoagulation Control with Warfarin in Chinese patients with Atrial Fibrillation: Relation to ischemic stroke incidence. PLoS ONE 2016, 11(3): e0150674. Published online ahead of print. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0150674.
- Chan PH, Huang D, Lau PC, Chan EW, Wong ICK, Lip GYH, Tse HF, Siu CW. Net clinical benefit of dabigatran over warfarin in patients with atrial fibrillation stratified by CHA2DS2-VASC and time in therapeutic range. Published online before print. DOI: 10.1016/j.cjca.2016.01.016.
- Lao KSL, Chui CSL, Man KKC, Lau WCY, Chan EW, Wong ICK. Medication safety research by observational study design. Int J Clin Pharm 2016. Published online ahead of print. DOI: 10.1007/s11096-016-0285-6.
- Li X, Tse VC, Lau WCY, Cheung BMY, Lip GYH, Wong ICK, Chan EWY. Cost-effectiveness of apixaban versus warfarin in Chinese patients with non-valvular atrial fibrillation: a real-life and modelling analysis. Plos ONE 2016, Accepted.
- Lao KSJ, He Y, Wong ICK, Besag FMC, Chan EW. Tolerability and safety profile of cariprazine in treating psychotic disorders, bipolar disorder and major depressive disorder: a systematic review with meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. CNS Drugs 2016, Under Revision.
Please click here for review protocol
- Wong AYS, Chan EW, Anand S, Worsley AJ, Wong ICK. Managing cardiovascular risk of macrolides: systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of the American Heart Association 2016, Submitted.
Please click here for review protocol
- Kendall J, Maconochie I, Wong IC, Howard R; on behalf of the DIASAFE study. A novel multipatient intranasal diamorphine spray for use in acute pain in children: pharmacovigilance data from an observational study. Emerg Med J. 2015; 32(4):269-73. DOI: 10.1136/emermed-2013-203226.
- Chan EW, Lau WCY, Leung WK, Mok MTC, He Y, Tong TSM, Wong ICK. Prevention of Dabigatran Related Gastrointestinal Bleeding by Gastroprotective Agents: A Population-Based Retrospective Cohort Study. Gastroenterology 2015; 149(3):586-595.e3. DOI: 10.1053/j.gastro.2015.05.002.
- Bielicki JA, Barker CIS, Saxena S, Wong ICK, Long PF, Sharland M. Not too little, not too much: problems of selecting oral antibiotic dose for children. BMJ. 2015; 3;351:h5447. DOI: 10.1136/bmj.h5447.
- Chan PH, Li WH, Hai JJ, Chan KH, Tse HF, Cheung BMY, Chan EW, Wong ICK, Leung WK, Hung IFN, Lip GYH, Siu CW. Gastrointestinal Hemorrhage in Atrial Fibrillation Patients: Impact of Quality of Anticoagulation Control. Eur Heart J. 2015; 1:265-272. DOI: 10.1093/ehjcvp/pvv032
- Man KKC, Tong HHY, Chan EW, Wong LYL, Wong ICK. Exposure to selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors during pregnancy and risk of autism spectrum disorder in children: A systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studies. Neurosci Biobehav Rev 2015; 49: 82-89. DOI: 10.1016/j.neubiorev.2014.11.020.
- Lai ECC, Man KKC, Chaiyakunapruk N, Cheng CL, Chien HC, Chui CSL, Dilokthornsakul P, Hardy C, Hsieh CY, Hsu CY, Kubota K, Lin TC, Liu Y, Park BJ, Pratt N, Roughead EE, Shin JY, Watcharathanakij S, Wen J, Wong ICK, Yang YHK, Zhang Y, Setoguchi S. Brief Report: Databases in the Asia-Pacific Region: The Potential for a Distributed Network Approach. Epidemiology 2015; 26(6):815-20. DOI: 10.1097/EDE.0000000000000325.
- He Y, Chan EW, Leung WK, Anand S, Wong ICK. Systematic review with meta-analysis: the association between the use of calcium channel blockers and gastrointestinal bleeding. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2015; 41(12):1246-1255. DOI: 10.1111/apt.13211.
- Chui CSL, Wong ICK, Wong LYL, Chan EW. Association between oral fluoroquinolone use and the development of retinal detachment: a systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studies. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2015; 70(4):971-978. DOI: 10.1093/jac/dku507.
- Man KKC, Chan EW, Douglas I, Ip P, Wong WHS, Coghill D, Leung LP, Tsui MSH, Wong ICK. Methylphenidate and the risk of trauma. Pediatrics. 2015; 135(1):40-48. DOI: 10.1542/peds.2014-1738.
- Leung B, Jokanovic N, Tan EC, Jamsen KM, Emery T, Robson L, Manias E, Pitkälä KH, Chan EW, Bell JS. Prescribed Doses of Opioids in Long-Term Care Facilities. J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2015; 16(12):1100-1102. DOI: 10.1016/j.jamda.2015.09.005.
- Garriga M, Pacchiarotti I, Kasper S, Zeller SL, Allen MH, Vázquez G, Baldacara L, San L, McAllister-Williams H, Fountoulakis K, Courtet P, Naber D, Chan EW, Fagiolini A, Möller HJ, Grunze H, Llorca PM, Jaffe RL, Yatham LL, Mazzei DH, Passamar M, Messer T, Bernardo M, Vieta E. Assessment and management of agitation in Psychiatry: Expert consensus. World J. Biol. Psychiatry 2015; 17(2):86-128. DOI: 10.3109/15622975.2015.
- Cheung CL, Sahni S, Cheung BM, Sing CW, Wong IC. Vitamin K intake and mortality in people with chronic kidney disease from NHANES III. Clin Nutr. 2015; 34(2):235-40. DOI: 10.1016/j.clnu.2014.03.011.
- Sing CW, Cheung CL, Wong ICK. Pharmacogenomics – how close/far are we to practising individualized medicine for children? Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2015; 79(3):419–428. DOI: 10.1111/bcp.12338.
- Ho MH, Ho CW, Cheung E, Chan PH, Hai J, Chan KH, Chan EW, Leung GKK, Tse HF, Siu CW. Continuation of Dabigatran Therapy in ʺReal-worldʺ Practice in Hong Kong. PloS ONE. 2014; 9(8): e101245. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.010124.
- Pratt N, Chan EW, Choi NK, Kimura M, Kimura T, Kubota K, Lai ECC, Man KKC, Ooba N, Park BJ, Sato T, Shin JY, Wong ICK, Kao Yang YH, Roughead EE. Prescription Sequence Symmetry Analysis: assessing risk, temporality and consistency for adverse drug reactions across data sets in five countries. Pharmacoepidemiol. Drug Saf. 2015; 24: 858–864. DOI: 10.1002/pds.3780.
- Chan PH, Li WH, Hai JJ, Chan EW, Wong ICK, Tse HF, Lip GYH, Chung SW. Time in therapeutic range and percentage of international normalized ratio in the therapeutic range as a measure of quality of anticoagulation control in patients with atrial fibrillation. Can J Cardiol. 2015; published online ahead of print. DOI: 10.1016/j.cjca.2015.10.029.
- Roughead EE, Chan EW, Choi NK, Kimura M, Kimura T, Kubota K, Lai ECC, Man KC, Nguyen TA, Ooba N, Park BJ, Sato T, Shin JY, Wang T, Griffiths J, Wong ICK, Yang YHK, Pratt NL. Variation in association between thiazolidinediones and heart failure across ethnic groups: Retrospective analysis of large healthcare claims databases in six countries. Drug Saf. 2015; 38(9):823-831. DOI: 10.1007/s40264-015-0318-4.
- Cheung KKW, Wong ICK, Ip P, Chan PKL, Lin CHY, Wong LYL, Chan EW. Experiences of adolescents and young adults with ADHD in Hong Kong: treatment services and clinical management. BMC Psychiatry, 2015; 15(1):95. DOI: 10.1186/s12888-015-0478-x.
- Ibrahim N, Wong ICK, Tomlin S, Sinha M, Rees L, Jani Y. Epidemiology of medicine-related problems in children with kidney disease. Pediatr Nephrol. 2015; 30(4): 623–633. DOI: 10.1007/s00467-014-2982-5.
- Leung AYM, Lau HF, Chau PH, Chan EWY. Chinese Health Literacy Scale for Diabetes – Multiple-choice version (CHLSD-MC): A Validation Study. J Clin Nurs. 2015; 24(17-18):2679-2682. DOI: 10.1111/jocn.12902
- Chan EW, Tang C, Lao SJ, Leung LP, Tsui SH, Ho HF, Wong G, Kong DCM, Knott JC, Wong ICK. The management of acute agitation in Hong Kong and comparisons with Australasia. Emerg Med Australas 2015; 27(6):542-548. DOI: 10.1111/1742-6723.12499.
- Hsu WWQ, Chan EWY, Zhang ZJ, Lin ZX, Bian ZX, Hsia Y, Wong ICK. A survey to investigate attitudes and perceptions of Chinese medicine professionals in health information technology in Hong Kong. Eur J Integr Med. 2015; 7(1): 36-46. DOI: 10.1016/j.eujim.2014.10.001.
- Hsu WWQ, Chan EWY, Zhang ZJ, Lin ZX, Bian ZX, Wong ICK. Chinese medicine students’ view on electronic prescribing: A survey in Hong Kong. Eur J Integr Med. 2015; 7(1): 47-54. DOI: 10.1016/j.eujim.2014.09.134.
- Chui CSL, Man KKC, Cheng CL, Chan EW, Lau WCY, Cheng VCC, Wong DSH, Yan-Kao YE, Wong ICK. An investigation of the potential association between retinal detachment and oral fluoroquinolones: a self-controlled case series study. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2014; 69(9):2563-2567. DOI: 10.1093/jac/dku145.
- Wong AY, Hsia Y, Chan EW, Murphy DG, Simonoff E, Buitelaar JK, Wong ICK. The Variation of Psychopharmacological Prescription Rates for People With Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) in 30 Countries. Autism Res. 2014; 7(5):543-554. DOI: 10.1002/aur.1391.
- Wong AY, Hsia Y, Chan EW, Murphy DG, Simonoff E, Buitelaar JK, Wong ICK. Psychopharmacological prescription for people with autism spectrum disorder (ASD): a Multinational study. Autism Res, 2014; 231(6):999-1009. DOI: 10.1007/s00213-013-3263-x.
- Chan EW, Liu KQL, Chui CSL, Wing CW, Wong LYL, Wong ICK. Adverse Drug Reactions – Examples of detection of rare events using databases. Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2014; 80:855-861. DOI: 10.1111/bcp.12474.
- Rashed AN, Wilton L, Lo CCH, Kwong BYS, Leung S, Wong ICK. Epidemiology and potential risk factors of drug-related problems in Hong Kong Paediatric wards. Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2014; 77(5):873–9. DOI: 10.1111/bcp.12270.
- Wong AYS, Chan EW, Chui CSL, Sutcliffe AG and Wong ICK. The phenomenon of micronutrient deficiency among children in China: a systematic review of the literature. Public Health Nutr, 2014; 17(11):2605-2618. DOI: 10.1017/S1368980013002978.
- Saxena S, Ismael Z, Murray ML, Barker C, Wong IC, Sharland M, Long PF. Oral penicillin prescribing for children in the UK: a comparison with BNF for Children age-band recommendations. Br J Gen Pract. 2014; 64(621):e217-22. DOI: 10.3399/bjgp14X677842.
- Beckmann J, Hagemann U, Bahri P, Bate A, Boyd IW, Dal Pan GJ, Edwards BD, Edwards IR, Hartigan-Go K, Lindquist M, McEwen J, Moride Y, Olsson S, Pal SN, Soulaymani-Bencheikh R, Tuccori M, Vaca CP, Wong IC. Teaching Pharmacovigilance: the WHO-ISoP Core Elements of a Comprehensive Modular Curriculum. Drug Saf. 2014; 37(10):743-59. DOI: 10.1007/s40264-014-0216-1.
- He Y, Chan EW, Man KKC, Lau WCY, Leung WK, Ho LM, Wong ICK. Dosage effect of histamine-2 receptor antagonist on the primary prophylaxis of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) associated peptic ulcers: a retrospective cohort study. Drug Saf. 2014; 37(9):711-721. DOI: 10.1007/s40264-014-0209-0.
- Man KKC, Ip P, Hsia YF, Chan EW, Chui CSL, Lam MPS, Wong WHS, Chow CB, Yung A, Wong ICK. Attention-deficit/Hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) drug prescribing trend among school-aged children and adolescents in Hong Kong. J Atten Disord. 2014, Published online before print. DOI: 10.1177/1087054714536047.
Wong AYS, Root A, Douglas I, Chui CSL, Chan EW, Ghebremichael-Weldeselassie Y, Siu CW, Smeeth L, Wong ICK. Cardiovascular outcomes associated with use of clarithromycin: population based study. BMJ 2016; 352:h6926.
Wong AYS, Wong ICK, Chui CSL, Lee EHM, Chang WC, Chen EYH, Leung WK, Chan EW. Association between acute neuropsychiatric events and Helicobacter pylori therapy containing Clarithromycin. JAMA Intern Med. 2016; 176(6):828-834.
Chan EW, Lau WCY, Leung WK, Mok MTC, He Y, Tong TSM, Wong ICK.
Prevention of Dabigatran Related Gastrointestinal Bleeding by Gastroprotective Agents: A Population-Based Retrospective Cohort Study. Gastroenterology 2015;149(3):586-595.e3.
Chui CSL, Wong ICK, Wong LYL, Chan EW*. Association between oral fluoroquinolone use and the development of retinal detachment: a systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studies. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2015; 70(4):971-978.